Come join our growing Team of Chaplains!
What skills do you need to be a chaplain?
Our Chaplains are from all walks of life and have different professional and personal backgrounds. They bring their own personal character to the organization which includes a respect for law enforcement and first responders, compassion for others, and a quiet and calm presence in crisis.
what are the requirements to become a chaplain?
People often ask if they need to be clergy in order to be a Chaplain with the Law Enforcement Chaplaincy Service in Sonoma County (LECS). The answer is, no. Some of our LECS Chaplains are ordained ministers but many are not.
To become a Candidate for the LECS Chaplain Academy you must have the following:
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Be a permanent resident of Sonoma County.
- Have a valid California drivers license.
- Have current liability and property damage insurance on any vehicle used while on Chaplaincy business.
- Pass a law enforcement records check.
- Have no felony convictions.
what is the application process?
- Complete the Chaplain Academy application.
- Attend a panel interview.
- Be fingerprinted at the Sonoma County Sheriff's Department and pass a records check.
What is the Chaplain Academy?
- Each Candidate must attend the 5 month Chaplain Academy.
- The Chaplain Academy is held once a year in the fall.
- Classes are one night a week, with the exception of one week in November, December, and January, for three hours.
- Candidates must attend 100% of academy classes, participate in class discussions, complete all assigned homework, go on one law enforcement ride along assigned by the Director of the Chaplain Academy, and complete an on call shadow phase.
What is the commitment for a Chaplain?
- Choose two 24 hour on call dates each month.
- Attend five Chaplain meetings per year.
- Be apart of the Chaplaincy's once a year fundraiser, Tour de Fuzz.
- Re-certify with LECS every two years ~ a three hour training.
Ready to move forward?
If you're interested in becoming a volunteer Law Enforcement Chaplain with the Law Enforcement Chaplaincy Service in Sonoma County, please fill out the application below. Should you have any problems filling out the application, please use the following link instead: Chaplain Academy Application